Records & Evidence

The Record Division of the Fairfield Police Department is a sub-division of our Support Services Bureau and  is responsible for the maintenance and security of departmental and Criminal Records and reports, Informational Technology, Arrest Record Erasures and Evidence They are also responsible to keep custody of evidence, seized property and found property. Records officers produce all mandated State and Federal statistical reports for regional and national law enforcement data systems. 

This division is staffed by two regular police officers as well as  full and part-time civilian employees. Citizens wanting copies of reports can come to Fairfield Police Headquarters and go to the window in the front lobby marked Records and Reports. You must come to police headquarters to get a copy of a report as we do not mail or fax copies of reports. The hours are listed below. There are some days when records is open to 5:30pm. Call the day you want to come by to see if records will be open late that day.


Hours: 8:00am to 3:30pm Monday through Saturday 



Reports take a minimum of three (3) business days before they are available for release.

Reports $0.50 per page  
Photos (if available) $6.00 each Must submit a letter addressed to Support Services requesting the photo
Tape Recordings (if available) $10.00 each Must submit a letter addressed to Support Services requesting the tape.

The release of information and report copies are limited by State of Connecticut law. Types of reports that will not be released are:

  • Pending cases

  • Arrest Reports

  • Medical Records

  • signed statements of witnesses

  • information to be used in a prospective law enforcement action

  • investigatory techniques

  • arrest records of juveniles

  • information on the victim of sexual assault

  • uncorroborated allegations

Refer to Connecticut General Statute 1-210 for complete list.



The records division will perform local record checks for residents of the Town of Fairfield. There is no fee for this service. These checks will only be for the Town of Fairfield. For a check of State of Connecticut records you must contact the Connecticut State Police.




Found property is held for six (6) months depending on the item. If the item is not claimed we will contact the person who found the item to see if they want it. If the finder does not want the item then it will be disposed of. Some items, such items of no value will be disposed of prior to the six (6) months. Note: Items found by police officers are not returned to that officer. The items are turned over to the State of Connecticut or destroyed.


The owner of any property seized in connection with a criminal case must go through the Bridgeport Court to recover the items. Depending on the type of case and the items we do have the option to photograph the item and then return it to the owner. Direct any questions to records personnel.



Reports are usually held by the Fairfield Police Department for a period of ten (10) years.

If you want a copy of multiple reports (such as a copy of all accidents that occurred between certain dates or at a particular location) you must submit a letter to the Support Services Captain (Captain Joshua Zabin) requesting this information. After receipt of the letter you will be contacted as to the availability of the requested records.


Shoplifting Complaint Forms

These forms are to be used by businesses in the Town of Fairfield that detain an individual for shoplifting. The person observing the violation should complete this form with all required information after calling the police. The first form is fill in the blanks (this form should only be used if the circumstances of the theft match the pre-printed form). The second form requires the complainant to write out a description of the events. Any questions should be directed to the responding police officer. The forms should be given to the police officer that responds to investigate the theft.

Shoplifting Complaint Form - Short version

Shoplifting Complaint Form - Long Version

Cell Phone Theft Report

Complete this form if your cell phone was stolen within the Town of Fairfield. Bring the completed report to the Fairfield Police Department. You will be given a file number for your cellular provider.

Stolen / Lost Cell Phone Report

 Injury Release Form

Theft of Gasonline Form