The Fairfield Police Department and the AARP Fraud Watch Network in Connecticut are sponsoring a free Shred Day on July 18, 2015 from 10AM-1PM at Veterans Park, 909 Reef Road, Fairfield, CT. Protect yourself against ID Theft and Fraud by safely shredding your outdated and unwanted personal documents. Bring up to 2 bags/boxes to be safely and securely shredded* at no cost. The public will also have access to free information and resources from the AARP Fraud Watch Network that can help prevent identity theft, fraud and scams.
According to AARP, someone's identity is stolen every two seconds in America.
“Identity theft, investment fraud and scams rob millions of Americans of their hard-earned money every year,” said AARP State Director Nora Duncan. “The AARP Fraud Watch Network is fighting back by arming residents of all ages with tools and information to safeguard against identity theft and other forms of fraud and scams.”
Fairfield Deputy Chief of Police, Chris Lyddy said, “Please join us on Saturday, July 18 for a Free Shred Day in Veterans Park where you will have the opportunity to safely dispose of outdated personal documents and get free resources to help protect you and your family.”
Documents to consider for shredding include medical and financial records, credit card statements, canceled checks, tax returns and all other documents containing personal information that are no longer needed.
The AARP Fraud Watch Network is:
- Free for Everyone. Anyone, of any age, can access our resources free of charge.
- A Go-To Resource. Get real-time alerts about the latest scams, tips on how to spot them, and help if you or someone you know has been victimized.
- A Scam-Tracking Network. Get connected to people in your state who are sharing their experiences so you know what to watch out for.
- A Guide to Outsmarting Con Artists : Learn to outsmart scammers before they strike with tips based on hundreds of undercover fraud tapes and hours of interviews with former con artists and their victims.
- For more information about The AARP Fraud Watch Network or to sign up for free fraud alerts, visit www.aarp.org/fraudwatchnetwork.
For more information, contact Jen Millea at email@example.com or 860-548-3164
* EnviroShred is a social enterprise of Easter Seals Capital Region & Eastern Connecticut, providing employment to individuals with disabilities. Materials will be contained in locked secured collection containers and picked up by trained and insured EnviroShred drivers who transport the material in a locked secure truck to the secure shredding facility. For more information, please visit www.enviroshredct.com.