Traffic Calming Initiatives and Requests

The Town of Fairfield is committed to strengthen and protect its neighborhoods by improving the quality of life in residential areas. The desirability of Fairfield neighborhoods as places to live and raise a family is directly affected by local traffic conditions. The town allocates a portion of resources annually to address neighborhood traffic safety. The resources are divided among education, engineering and enforcement activities through the promotion of neighborhood friendly design, community awareness and effective enforcement. Fairfield also depends on commitment and support from many partners including neighborhood organizations, Town Engineering Department, Connecticut Department of Transportation and other Law Enforcement agencies for success of these initiatives. Fairfield’s Traffic Calming Program is in part a community driven venture. A community, which requests assistance, must remain active in the process and ensure that all of its members are kept informed throughout the process.

The Process:

  1. The first step in the process is to identify a problem or concern. Once a problem is identified it is important to seek the input of the residents affected in order to seek a possible solution that has the support of the neighborhood. Problems and most importantly, solutions, must be supported by the affected neighborhood.
  2. Request a Traffic Survey by submitting a request through the Town of Fairfield's Citizen Service Request System.
    1. When selecting the Type of Issue, navigate to "Police Issues" and then select "Traffic Survey Request."
    2. Click here to submit this request.
  3. Download and complete the Neighborhood Survey Request Form and Neighborhood Petition in order to show support from the residents affected by the request.  Click here to download the form.
  4. Upon receipt of your request and a completed Neighborhood Survey Request Form and Neighborhood Petition, your request will be placed on the next available Police Commission meeting agenda for consideration. You will be contacted by the Police Department and advised of the status of your request.  The Fairfield Board of Police Commissioners is the designated Legal Traffic Authority in the Town of Fairfield. Commissioners meet each month and make decisions regarding traffic problems and solutions.

Many significant requests require time to research. Please be patient throughout the process. If your request involves a significant change, such as a stop sign, please do your homework. Signs & signals must meet specific guidelines as published in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) at

Prefer to download this form and mail it in? Click here!